Frequently Asked Questions
Questions About Enrolling in Pet Insurance
- Who can enroll?
- PetangoCare Pet Insurance Programs is available for dogs and cats starting at 8 weeks of age. Once your pet is enrolled in a PetangoCare Pet Insurance program, coverage can be kept for the life of the pet, regardless of age.
- When does my pet insurance coverage begin?
- Coverage for accidents will start the day after we receive your payment and enrollment. For illnesses, there is a 14 day waiting period. This means illness coverage will start on day 15 of your policy.
My pet is healthy right now. Why should I get pet insurance?
- While your pet might be healthy today, there is no way to predict what might happen in the future. With PetangoCare Pet Insurance Programs, you’ll be able to make sure that your pet has access to the best care possible in the event of an illness or accident, without having to make heart-breaking choices based on finances.
- My dog’s breed is prone to hip dysplasia. Am I still eligible for coverage?
- PetangoCare Pet Insurance covers hereditary conditions such as hip dysplasia. As long as your pet hasn’t been diagnosed with the condition, or isn't showing symptoms of the condition before enrollment or within the 14 day illness waiting period, coverage will be available.
Questions About Pet Insurance Coverage
- How much coverage will I receive?
- PetangoCare Pet Insurance Programs offers a broad level of coverage from 1,000 - 5,000 dependant on the level of coverage selected.
- What is covered?
- PetangoCare Pet Insurance Programs provides coverage for the diagnosis and treatment of all accidents and illness as well as ongoing treatment for your pet*. Your coverage allowance will provide for ongoing treatment for all medical conditions or emergencies. Your pet insurance coverage renews annually– conditions won’t be excluded once you start claiming as long as you renew each year.
- Will my pet be covered for ongoing conditions?
- You are covered for diagnosed, ongoing conditions to the full amount of your annual allowance.
- What is the maximum amount I can claim for a medical condition?
- There is no maximum amount you can claim for a medical condition. The only limit is the annual coverage limit you have chosen.
- Are pre-existing conditions covered?
Questions About Veterinary Care
Do I have to use a specific veterinarian or am I free to choose?
- You can use any licensed veterinarian in the United States or Canada while traveling. The veterinarian you choose can be part of a clinic, an emergency vet or someone who specializes in alternative therapies, as long as he/she is licensed.
- After I’ve enrolled my pets, can they continue to see their usual veterinarian?
- We certainly hope you continue to see your regular veterinarian, but you are free to use any licensed vet in the United States or Canada.
- What about checkups?
- In order to ensure your pet is healthy, we request that you maintain regular checkups and vaccinations as specified by your veterinarian.
Questions About Making a Pet Insurance Claim
How do I make a claim?
Simply fax or mail in a completed claim form filled out by you and your veterinarian along with detailed paid invoices. The complete medical history of your pet will also need to be provided. There is a handy checklist on the claim form to ensure you have enclosed all the proper documentation. Click here to download a claim form.
How much can I claim for?
You are able to claim for the maximum amount of coverage you have selected.
How much will I get back from my claim?
The amount you receive is determined by two things:
- The deductible and co-payment applicable to your coverage
- The amount you have already been reimbursed for medical treatment for your pet
What is a deductible?
The deductible is the amount you are responsible for before your reimbursement. For example, if you have a $500 claim and your policy has a $100 deductible, you will pay $100 and your insurance will pay covered costs, less the co-payment.
What is a co-payment?
We will pay a percentage of each covered claim up to the maximum benefit amount, depending on your level of coverage as stated on your Document of Insurance. Your share of each covered claim will be the remaining percentage. This is referred to as your co-payment. Once the claim payable has been determined any applicable deductibles will then be applied before reimbursement. Your co-payment is applied on each claim based upon the age of your pet at the time of claim.
Questions About Policy Payment & Renewal
How do I pay for my policy?
You can pay your premiums monthly or annually:
- Monthly: using Visa, MasterCard, or direct debit from your bank account; or
- Annually: using Visa, MasterCard, a check or a money order.
How often will I pay?
You can choose to pay your policy premium worry free as a lump-sum for the entire year or you can remit your premium payments on a monthly basis. Please note that there is a $2.00(US)/$1.50(CAD) monthly pay plan fee for monthly remittances. The most cost effective method is annual payment. It ensures your pets coverage is in place for the year.
How do I renew my pet insurance policy?
Your policy will be automatically renewed provided you maintain your payments. You can cancel your policy at any time.
I have looked into pet insurance before but it’s always so expensive.
PetangoCare Pet Insurance Programs is designed to be affordable and flexible. To find out how much pet insurance will cost, get a free no obligation quote.
What if I decide that I don’t have enough coverage for my pet?
Your policy can be upgraded any time you wish - just get in touch with one of our representative at 1-877-218-0409 and they will assist you.
PetangoCare Pet Insurance
P.O. Box 2150
Buffalo, NY 14240-2150
Call us toll free:
Call Centre Hours (Eastern Time)
8:00 am to 9:00 pm (Mon-Fri)
9:00 am to 6:00 pm (Sat)
What should I do if I need more information?
We are more than happy to answer any questions you might have about PetangoCare Pet Insurance. You can call us at 1-877-218-0405 or chat online with one of our friendly representatives.